Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six years to 'The day terror struck'

When we hear September 11'Th or 9/11(pronounced "nine eleven") the only thing we can relate to is the attack of terrorists affiliated with al-Qaeda on the World Trade Center in New York City, one plane into each tower (1 WTC and 2 WTC), resulting in the collapse of both buildings.

WTC burning in the background of the Empire State Building

The World Trade Center was on of my Favorite buildings* right from my school days. I still remember the day it happened i.e., September 11 2001, I was in my 3'rd year of Engineering. I along with my friends came to our room after college in the evening , we got the news and watched the news feed on our house owners television. I was shocked and it took some time for me to believe what I am seeing. I felt sad for the loss and couldn't stand seeing the structure go down.

This act of terrorism shows how much a person can hate a country and to what extent he can go to damage its resolve. In response to this attack, United States waged a war against terrorism and almost flattened every mountain in Afghanistan. But in wain, could not get its hands on the man who planned all this, Mr. Laden.

Six years later, I think we are no less terrified. The reason, these acts of terrorism never ceased, they continued with September 18,2001 - anthrax attacks , March 11,2004 - Madrid train bombings, July 7 - 2005 London bombings, not to mention innumerable smaller attacks in other parts of the world.

Who is to blame? I guess there is no answer for this question. And one thing I came to know by this incident is that there is nothing like a safe place on this planet, anything can happen anywhere.

*I will write about my favourite buildings at length sometime later

No comments: